Types of Therapists

Marvin S. Beitner, Ph.D.
Long Beach Office 5199 E. Pacific Coast Hwy, Suite 304N    (562) 498-0777
Orange County Office 11770 Warner Ave, Suite 127     (714) 966-6634
Directions to Office Locations
See Quick Video Below                   Listen to Free Informative Audio Now                Or Hear at (714) 966-6630    24/7
We Answer phone calls promptly between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.  Monday - Friday


Types of Therapists
Stop Smoking
Lose Weight
Attention deficit disorder
Marriage Counselor
Accomodation Testing
Office Locations
Sexual problems
Panic Attacks & Anxiety
Counseling Online
Pain Control
Children & Teenagers
Check Qualifications
Types of Symptoms
Types of Psychotherapy
Multiple Personality
Orange County Psych Assn
Eating Disorders
Executive & Life Coaching
Audio Information
Telephone Information
Self-Help Books
Intelligence & Memory Tests
Gay Lesbian Transgender
Psychology News
Managed care
E-Mail Feedback
Privacy Policy & HIPAA


Marvin S Beitner PhD, Psychologist Lic. PSY1036, Marriage Counselor Lic. M646, Long Beach Office convenient to Lakewood, Los Alamitors, Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills, Cerritors, Cypress, Fountain Valley Office convenient to Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Newport Coast, ZIP 90803 90804 90806 90807 90808 90811 90812 90813 90814 90814 90822 92708 92660 92661 92662 92663 92657 92627 92649 92648Professionals offering psychotherapy and counseling services to the public identify themselves by a  confusingly wide array of titles, including psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, marriage and family therapist, psychiatrist, psychoanalyst, counselor, hypnotist, hypnotherapist and psychotherapist. How can you make sense out of all of these confusing choices? 

 First, it helps to have some knowledge about the state laws governing the use of these titles. In California, as in most states, anyone can call themselves a psychoanalyst, a counselor, a hypnotist a hypnotherapist or a psychotherapist without any kind of training or education. These titles are not regulated, licensed or controlled in any way. 

The following information is based upon standards in the State of California. 

Some of the rules and regulations are the same in other states, but you can check with the state board for each profession in your own state. Any professional person in your own state should be able and willing to give you the phone number, address or web page of their particular profession in that state.  You will find information about resources to check on the qualifications of mental health professionals both in California and in other states at how to check qualifications.

Some of the professional designations listed above do involve state requirements and standards for licensing. Here is some information which will be useful in general.

To represent oneself as a psychologist to the public in California:

It is necessary to hold a doctorate degree in psychology (Ph.D.), which is a post-graduate degree; to have completed an approved course of study at an accredited college or university and to have completed a supervised training program in the field of clinical psychology. Both the undergraduate and graduate training of a licensed psychologist is focused in the field of clinical psychology, including normal and abnormal psychology, learning theory, social psychology, psychotherapy, psychodiagnosis, psychological testing and research. In addition it is necessary to pass a state board of psychology sanctioned licensing examination in California as is true in most states.

To represent oneself as a psychiatrist to the public in California

It is necessary to hold a doctorate degree in medicine (M.D.), which is an undergraduate degree. Any physician can practice psychiatry once he has completed medical school, passed the state board examination in general medicine and obtained a medical license. If you consult a psychiatrist, it is important to make sure that he is Board Certified in psychiatry, which means that he has had training in psychiatry as well as medicine, and that he has passed an examination in the field of psychiatry. For a further discussion of the differences between the education and training of a psychologist and psychiatrist, see "A commonly asked question" on my page about psychologists.

A licensed clinical social worker (LCSW) in California... 

has a masterís degree in social work (MSW) and has completed a training program and passed an examination in clinical social work.

A marriage and family  therapist (MFT)... 

is the designation for what was previously known as a marriage and family counselor (MFC) in California. An MFT has a masterís degree in marriage and family therapy and has completed a training program and passed a state sanctioned examination in this field.

Many people who look for help with personal or emotional problems consult a psychologist or psychiatrist because of their more extensive training. However, managed care insurance programs are moving in the direction of using more marriage and family therapists and licensed clinical social workers than psychologists and psychiatrists for treatment. Some of them do not authorize psychiatrists to provide psychotherapy, but restrict them to providing medication only.

If someone identifies themselves only as a psychoanalyst, a counselor, a hypnotist a hypnotherapist or a psychotherapist, with no other professional designation listed above, 

be sure to inquire carefully about their training and qualifications. The use of these terms is generally unregulated and may be used by anyone. Such a person may not meet the standards of training, education and experience that you would want in the professional person whom you consult on important personal issues. Some of them have no training, or may have taken a weekend or mail correspondence course only.

For further information about how to evaluate the qualifications of a professional therapist, see Check Qualifications.

Your choice of the type of professional person you consult will determine a lot about the type of treatment or counseling which you get. 

For more information right here about why you might prefer to choose a clinical psychologist for professional help rather than another type of professional, see my copy of the Orange County Psychological Association's Web Page entitled "What is a Psychologist?"

For information about Dr. Beitner's private practice, training and experience, click on Marvin S. Beitner, Ph.D. You may see comments by some of Dr. Beitner's patients at his Internet telephone listings by clicking on the following link:    Superpages  You may have to page down to read comments at these sites. Dr. Beitner's Blog will soon be updated. 

If you live in Long Beach, Lakewood, Los Alamitos, Cerritos, Cypress, Signal Hill, Rolling Hills or Palos Verdes you have easy access to the Los Angeles County Office at 5199 E. PCH, Long Beach CA 90804 (562) 498-0777. If your live in Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Newport Coast, Anaheim, Villa Park, Garden Grove, Santa Ana, Westminster, Costa Mesa or Fountain Valley you have easy access to the Orange County office at 11770 Warner Ave, Fountain Valley CA 92708 (714) 966-6634 or (949) 644-4641. 
           All written, video and audio material herein is subject to:   Copyright  © 2015 Marvin S Beitner, Ph.D.